Monday, October 12, 2015

Panzanella - an amazing Italian salad!

My version has more arugula than the original
Wandering through Kroger's last weekend, I tasted a sample of a salad featuring my favorite lettuce - arugula. It was SO good, I immediately returned to the produce section to put back the salad fixin's I had in my basket and picked up everything I needed for my new favorite salad. I'd never heard of Panzanella, but I wasn't surprised to google it and find many, many recipes. It turned out great! Even my guys raved about it. The true Panzanella, from Central Italy, has 5 cups of day-old bread, but my version included only three small slices of fresh ciabatta. It would be good without any bread at all, but despite being soggy, it does add an interesting texture and a delicious way to soak up that tasty dressing. The sample lady at Kroger made it the same way, and told me some people mistake the bread for meat! The Pioneer Woman goes a step further and makes delicious-looking--and probably less soggy--croutons for her version: Panzanella Salad. Here is my recipe:

Ingredients

    Made this lasagna to go along with the salad!*
  • Ciabatta bread - three small slices, cubed 
  • 1/4 C Balsamic Vinegar - $$$ is better 
  • 1/4 C Olive Oil
  • 1 t basic leaves, chopped (fresh preferred but I used dry) 
  • 1 thinly sliced red onion 4 diced tomatoes 
  • 1 5 oz container of argula
  • Your favorite salad ingredients; here are mine: 
  • 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced 
  • 1 avocado, diced 
Preparation
  1. In a large bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper. 
  2. Chop the onion and stir it into the dressing; this gives it more time to marinate. 
  3. Dice the tomatoes and add them to the bowl. 
  4. Prepare the rest of the veggies, and toss into the bowl with the bread cubes just before serving. 
  5. If desired, top with fresh grated Parmesan. 

The page from "Taste of Italy" booklet

*Check out this recipe to the easiest and Best lasagna I've ever made!

No comments:

Post a Comment